Thread: Rossin find
View Single Post
Old 02-15-22, 08:51 AM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 147 Posts
I haven’t updated this thread in a while, but not because the project has stagnated. So here’s an update:
Continued with cleaning of parts from the Donor-dale. Brakes are mostly finished. I disassembled, cleaned, lubed and re assembled. They pads a petrified, so I need to order replacements for them. One brake adjuster o-ring was rotted and split, so I bought a set from an eBay seller. Very nice copies.
Front derailleur, headset and cranks are complete, and I’m happy with how they cleaned up. The cranks have the beginning of cracks in the usual spot, so I’ll have to keep an eye on those. They are 170 length, with an odd ‘84 (drive side) and ‘82 date stamps. I have a set of 172.5’s, so I may replace with those. The seat post and levers off the donor need cleaning but I’m going to use a Super Record seatpost and brake levers I already have cleaned up. It will save time and having to buy another set of hoods.
Since I need an Italian BB for the Rossin, the one from the Cannondale won’t work. Prices for good used Campy examples are waaay too much imo. So I opted for an era appropriate Specialized that has an 115 mm ISO square taper spindle. The seller accepted my offer, so I feel like it was a good deal.
The donor bike had a nice set of Cinelli bars and stem in the size and length I like, but I’m a sucker for a panto stem. I have one inbound, and I it hope works out. Pics when it arrives.

Next up are the wheels.

Last edited by velomateo; 02-16-22 at 11:48 AM.