View Single Post
Old 02-21-22, 01:24 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,146 Posts
My trip where airline luggage handlers cracked my center support, I had to tweak a few spokes to true up the wheels, but otherwise no problem.

I used to use wheeled luggage, but after rolling luggage through unplowed snow covered parking lots, cobble stones, etc., I decided to switch to backpacks. I have several versions, also have two Patagonia duffels with shoulder straps. In the photo below it is hard to see I am wearing the S&S Backpack case on my back because it is black and disappears against the background. The brown bag on the separate wheelie cart is the 90 liter Patagonia duffle that I can wear as a backpack.

My last bike tour where I had the S&S case, that orange backpack and two other bags, I had to get all that from the hostel to the train station about 2/3 of a mile away. Walked over there with the S&S Backpack and one carry-on, went back to the hostel for the orange backpack and other carry-on bag for the second trip. Train station staff did not mind watching my bag for me.

Now that most airlines (but not all) have dropped their oversize fees for bikes, I see no reason to hide that I have a bike in the S&S case. Some airlines appear to have canceled the oversize fee for bikes but the oversize fee will remain for some other pieces of luggage. I have never been asked by airline personnel if a bike was in the bag, I would have answered bike parts but not a complete bike. Since the bike and case exceeded 50 pounds, the pedals, saddle and a few other parts were in my other checked bag to keep the weight down, so that bag did not have a complete bike in it.

You did not say which size bag you got at Amazon. I assume the 110 liter bag, that should be a hair below 62 inches for airline dimensions. That is comparable to the Sealline bag I have for volume.

My Sealline bag at 115 liters, I have used one like that but heavier construction for over two decades for canoe trips in northern Minnesota on the Canadian border. The one I use canoeing also has a waist belt and extra re-infircing so it is over five pounds. I like that bag, but I wanted something lighter and more compact when empty for airline travel. I learned that Sealline had made a lightweight version of it that was much lighter at 2.5 pounds, no longer made but I watched for it and got one on a clearance sale at REI three years ago.
https://www.rei.com/product/784169/s...ack-115-liters

The one they sell now of that size is over four pounds, likely less compact when folded up for storage too.

Pressure in an airplane hold is probably equivalent to about 8000 feet of elevation, so if you use a waterproof and air tight bag, make sure you put something in the foldable opening that air can permeate through to get into and out of the bag. I used a small towel for that.

My S&S bike in the photo, if you are curious.

I do not travel as light as you.