Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 02-21-22, 11:42 AM
obuckler
“Senior” Member

Bikes: 71 Lygie—72 Raleigh Grand Prix—76 Raleigh Super Course—76 Bruce Gordon—74 Raleigh International(2)—2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
obuckler in theory at least, even the valve stem section of the tube could be spliced into a defective tube. Have you ever had the necessity to attempt one, and if so how did it hold up? I ask, because I recently installed a Vittoria Corsa with a leak at the valve stem. Fortunately, it was new, and I've sent it back for a warranty replacement (see post #2202 in this thread).
when you do this a lot you collect spare parts so I had one pernicious tube that I thought a splice kept failing but I finally realized it was the valve itself so I had a spare removable valve to switch out and solve the problem.

Leaks other than the valve itself around the stem are problematic if too close to the stem to get a patch on it and yes you can splice out that section but I would choose to replace the whole tube in that situation. One splice instead of two would be less work.

I have done 4-5 splices all without fail. Hope I am not repeating this next comment: it is a pleasure to patch latex because the tube has no mold marks so it is easily patched anywhere. On butyl mold marks can get in the way.