Old 02-28-22, 04:46 PM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 2,248 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by fabiofarelli
Pedaleur was and still is used as a name for bikeshops en there were at least two cycling clubs with that name. I don't recognize this sticker. But I like it.
Thanks for that information.

What started out as just thinking I would be able to ride it as it was, has turned into a full overhaul and clean up. The grease in the bottom bracket, headset, and hubs had turned into a semi-petrified very sticky goo. Headset was cleaned, hubs cleaned and got new bearings all around, all packed with NFS grease. The bottom bracket was very rough when turned by hand. I replaced that with a Shimano UN71. I happened to have most of an NOS UniGlide cassette, so I did a little creative disassembling and now have 5 out of 6 gears being new, and a 28 big gear to hopefully help with the hills a bit. Installed a new Sram PC890 chain I had been keeping for a special occasion. Disassembled, cleaned, and lubed the derailleurs and shifters. Found some new Campagnolo shifter cables at the bike thrift store, put those on. Brake calipers and brake levers were fully disassembled, cleaned, lubed, and rebuilt. Brake levers got nice used Dia Compe gum hoods. I put some NOS Shimano SIS cables and cable housing, because I had them laying around. Wheels got cleaned with some mild steel wool, which really bought out the shine. I put on new Vittoria Rubino Pro tires (700 x 25). Brooks Professional saddle installed. I found a 90mm Dia Compe stem at the local bike thrift store, which I think will give me the ever so slight length increase I felt I needed on my first ride. Rewrapped the handlebars with Newbaums cloth tape that I got from the Box-Of-Crap a few years ago. Pedals were greased, NOS Christophe toe clips installed (sent to me out of the blue by a good friend), and some red Christophe straps put on.
That's where I'm at as of now. I thought it was pretty smooth and nice the first time I rode it, so I was shocked in what "poor" condition certain components were when I tore things apart. With all this maintenance and changes, I can only imagine rides in the future will be a considerable improvement!