Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I still can't believe this is a thing.
yup - because it's not.

Still...it's on my list to come up with some sort of justification for it, etc. I spent a semester in college studying a field that I can not remember the proper name for. It was roughly "machine reliability". During that course we studied the obvious reliability and preventive maintenance calculations and theories. We also used an extremely expensive, at the time, accelerometer to take vibrational readings off operating machinery to detect imbalances, bearing issues, etc. Enough to know anything we even remotely attempt with a bike is pretty stupid but... "marginal gains" amirite?

During that course we got heavy into the the mechanics of balancing. Static, dynamic, multi-plane, etc. I then went and visited my girlfriend at the time (wife now) company her family owned. The made every flywheel that went on every engine that Caterpillar assembled in North America. As a part of the heavily automated line that was set up to do high volume on-highway flywheels for semi-trucks they had automatic balancing machines. Being in the middle of the theory involved I asked them 3 or 4 questions about the type of balancing required, etc. The response was, "What I know is I put it in the machine and it spits it out with a green light and I can ship it to CAT and get my money."

I ended up working for them eventually and was there when the economy collapsed in '08. Leaving there was what started PSIMET as a company.

All this means that I get really bored reading about bicycle wheel imbalances. ...but like I said I will put it on my list, dig out my old books and get back into the theory and will come up with a product and method that will end up being all over the marginal gains people's lexicon.

Likes For Psimet2001: