Old 03-02-22, 09:40 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Aha! Here's where the whole subjective thing comes in--lots of people have sensitivity to those fabrics, myself included. When we're talking about comfort, we may very well be experiencing very different interactions between our skin and those fabrics. I don't think sensitivities have to be full-blown break out in hives kind of things, so it's quite possible that people who don't find those fabrics comfortable are getting low-grade reactions they're experiencing just as discomfort. Cotton is hypo-allergenic, on the other hand. So my comfort with it could simply be that it's what I'm used to out of necessity.

I really don't care what others choose to wear, btw. I think I've been very careful not to imply any disapproval of anyone else's choices.
Like you, I don't care what others choose to wear - if it works for you, it works for you. Like you, I find it obnoxious to be told that my perceptions and experiences are wrong. What's doubly obnoxious in this case, is being told that by people who likely have limited common experience.

You find cotton comfortable - great. Everybody here has worn cotton shirts - we can make an informed decision to agree or disagree.

When it comes to opinions on good technical fabrics, which aren't as ubiquitous or accessible as cotton, I think that it's fair that people qualify their opinion. You find polyester uncomfortable and it sounds as if that's been the case for a long time. Fair enough... but with the strides in high-end technical fabrics in the last decade or so, are you really in a position to comment on their characteristics and your disposition towards them? This stuff ain't grandpa's, or even dad's, polyester.