Old 03-04-22, 06:19 PM
winfred0000

Bikes: 1998 Diamondback mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
For me ChroMo was the way to go as I could not afford a good Aluminum Frame so I built up and rode an 80s UNIVEGA till I got down to 250.

As a medical provider I have seen some remarkable results with Banding and Gastric Bypass. You should note that it is a hard and prolonged recovery time for most people. If you can get to 250 on your own, and stay below 250, it might not be worth it.

You should not have to rebuild a machine built wheel but I do. I first go over the rim with a magnifying glass and check its round. I then check spoke tension looking for odd ball tensions. I also check the dish. On my older bikes I usually have to re-dish the wheel to accommodate older derailleurs. But also note that there have been more than a few Machine Built Wheels I have gotten that were Spot On...

Hi Zandoval and anyone else here!

Thanks again for taking the time! Do you mean by "medical provider" that you own a health insurance company? 250lbs would be a record for me as that would mean 36lbs from what I was, yet 31 from where I am now. But great advice! They quit doing banding and now it's gastric sleeve or the Rouny bypass. I think that's the right spelling. I'm thinking of the RNY bypass, but like you say better to avoid it.

Do you mean by "machine built wheel" that the hub is brand new? I mean if I go the rebuild it myself route, meaning buying the rim, spokes, and overhauling or inspecting the inner parts of my present Shimano Deore XT 36H hub to maybe save the price of the hub. Some say that particular Shimano hub is notorious for breaking down, so maybe foolish if I think of still using it. The double walled wheel I have I bought used 1 1/2 yrs ago. In one year's time I broke 2 spokes. This last time my wheel went way off true, so far off I was told I need a new wheel. So I can't use the old rim, nor the old spokes. Some also said my brand of rim was a problematic one too, an Alex Rims Adventurer 2. I might get double or maybe triple butted spokes.

I'm not 100% decided on what way to go, build myself, have a shop build it, or buy a new wheel. I don't have any building experience other than in 1989 while taking care of my mother in my north woods hometown. I mail ordered all the parts, built a rear wheel for my road bike, and had the Schwin shop true it. That was so long ago I can't really count myself as being knowledgeable. The second shop I went to on Monday said they were busy and would email their estimate, only now Friday is almost over and no estimate. The mechanic on front counter duty also said in my case he thinks that I should have a "touring wheel", which I don't know what that means exactly... a strong wheel. Do you know what a "touring wheel" is... it doesn't sound strong ha! If I buy a whole wheel I'll still have the shop check tension etc as I don't trust myself checking the tension.

If I build a wheel myself I'll have them do the truing part. I for sure want a stronger wheel, so if I build it will be double or triple budded spokes I guess... Do you like triple budded spokes? It's hard because IMO this shop mainly focuses on their more profitable customers. They are in an upper middle class and upper class area and know more about the newer bikes. They are also busy with downhill or cross country skis and snow boards, kayaks, and a lot of other things. I wait with my 1998 Diamond Back mountain bike alongside people flying from Minnesota to the Rockies for a ski weekend ha! They took 4 1/2 hrs to put on my Portland Design Works fenders, then once mounted told me they were fenders for the fat tire bikes and they took longer because of it. So they sold me the wrong fenders, mounted them, then told me ha! They seem to not care as much about me I think because I'm limping along low budget. I don't own a car and use my bike every day. What route do you think is best? If I order the parts can I make a wheel that would be a lot more expensive and stronger and better quality than if I bought a new wheel, or had the shop build it? It's dark now and with my wobbly wheel I've go to do a cardio workout ride ha!

Carpe Diem!

Winfred