Old 03-01-06, 10:10 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HoustonB
Your selective quoting is misleading. I go on to say that departing the bike lane and the left turn into the drive way are really TWO actions, they are distinct.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I left out the part about departing the bike lane and the left turn being TWO distinct actions because that was irrelevant to the point I was making: that you don't seem to realize that making any lateral movement requires yielding the ROW to anyone approaching from behind into the space into which you wish to move laterally, and that signalling first make no difference to this.

I have never and will never blindly swing from the right curb to the left curb. Any insinuation from you to the contrary will be refuted in the strongest fashion possible.
I have never claimed or insinuated that you have or would ever swing blindly from curb to curb.

Originally Posted by genec
How does one yield the ROW if one is in front to begin with... look again at what I asked.
One yields the ROW to travel in the adjacent space into which he wishes to move laterally to those approaching from behind into that space, that's how one yields the ROW if one is in front to begin with. The same principle applies whether you're moving from the right lane to one lane to the left on the freeway, or whether you're moving over four feet on your bike from the right side of the road near the curb to the right tire track of the lane.

You can't just signal and move. And just signalling, as Diane points out is often ineffective on the freeway, does not obligate anyone to accomodate your request.