View Single Post
Old 03-05-22, 09:06 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7089 Post(s)
Liked 11,208 Times in 4,785 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
You don't learn anything new by listening only to what you wanted to hear.

There is actually quite a wide variation in rolling resistance between tyres of the same nominal size. Both compound and construction affect rolling resistance. Basically, lighter, more supple tyres are faster. The difference can be quite significant if speed is actually important to you. But there are also a lot of other factors to consider when choosing tyres i.e. braking and cornering grip (wet and dry), comfort, durability and puncture resistance. Personally I don't skimp on tyres as they are ultimately the only thing between you and the hard, unforgiving road. So I buy the best tyres for my needs (not necessarily the fastest rolling).
This.

My supplest tires cost $72 each, and while I think they do offer relatively low rolling resistance, that suppleness brings other benefits: they provide a smoother ride, great grip, and after >4000 miles I have never found tubeless sealant on my frame after a ride, which leads me to believe that they are rather puncture resistant. I've spent more than half as much on tires that gave me less than half the mileage and didn't ride very well anyway.