non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2215 Post(s)
Liked 4,698 Times in 1,794 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
These racks are sooo bad. They always looked good in the stores and were sold everywhere, it's just that they sukd. Note how the frame clamp has slipped down and destroyed the paint. I wonder how many millions of frames were damaged by this crappy mounting method. Note how the rack is now interfering with proper operation of the rear brake. They also weigh a ton because of the steel, spring loaded clamp. That clamp never held anything tight enough, so you still needed bungee cords, or squished it down thru the rack onto the rear tire where it was damaged.

Jim Blackburn racks came out much later, after a decade of damaged frame paint by Pletscher, but they were such an improvement Blackburn racks were the obvious way to go.

My advice - get rid of the rack; get rid of the spoke protector; consider getting rid of the chainring protector.
We are on the same page here. Rack and dork disk have been disposed of long ago. The chainring protector I have kept. Because it a nice aluminum Stronglight item, and it might come in handy if I am ever going to build a city bike I want to be able to ride in a three-piece suit.