View Single Post
Old 03-12-22, 01:22 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,528 Times in 1,058 Posts
I'll add my $.02 based on things I personally experienced or observed.

1) Once you have the pads adjusted to where you want them, don't ever move them again. They are for too much of a PITA to dial in. Whoever had the bright idea to control the adjustment of four different possible movements (up/down, in/out, swivel, and rotate) with a single bolt should shot. If he or she (but almost certainly a "he") is not longer with us, then he should be exhumed and then shot. As you might guess, this is based on personal experience.

2) Be very vigilant about reconnecting the straddle cables after you put a wheel back in. A friend brought his Mafac-equipped Gitane Tour de France to a ride. He pulled it out the car, put the wheels in place, and took off - without reattaching the straddle cable. Fortunately, the result was merely comical and not disastrous or tragic (I still tease him about this almost 50 years later), but you get the idea.