Old 03-12-22, 02:00 PM
smokeycanuck

Bikes: Trek Verve, Surly Wednesday

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Help Me Choose a Hybrid

So I have a LHT that I love and use for longer rides/tours but want something cheaper and lighter to bomb around town with e.g. grocery runs, pub-hopping, etc. Really want to live a more car-free (or at least car lite) life. My job gives me a company car so I don't need this as a commuter FYI.

I'm 52 and ride these days for the fitness, scenery and fun of cycling - speed and going aero ain't my bag but comfort is and the ability to carry some panniers or perhaps even a small trailer eventually. The majority of my riding will be asphalt roads/MUPs with some gravel paths here and there e.g. rail trails.

I've decided to make this purchase via a LBS as they've had a hell of a tough time over the last few years. I've narrowed my search down to 3, all of which are currently in stock at LBSs in my size but I want to jump on one soon before they get scooped with Spring approaching fast.

I've narrowed it down to 3 bikes. The Kona Dew Plus (or basic Dew), Norco Indie 2, Trek Verve 3. I basically need a city bomber with the ability for rear rack and fenders (which they all have the mounts for). I want to be upright and comfortable which is a priority over speed for me. The Verve seems the most upright and relaxed geometry (I see a Verve thread in this forum which I will look at next). The Norco seems to lean towards a MTB geometry and comes with a nice bar with 30 degrees of sweep - also like the Schwalbe Big Bens. The weather hasn't been good for test rides recently but I did take the Kona for a spin and really liked the upright ride and simplicity of the 1x drive train.

Any thoughts, experience, opinions are welcome.

Last edited by smokeycanuck; 03-13-22 at 06:34 AM.