cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 709 Times in 474 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Since I have been using the bike with that wheel on it, I have at times been riding with high pressure for a 2" tyre, where I will pump it up to 75 to 80 psi and wait till the pressure drops to 45 to 50 psi(takes about 3 weeks) and pump it back up to the 75 to 80 psi and repeat.

Additionally I am a heavy clyde and in recent months have been using my bike to haul back groceries and I will have 8 x 2 litre bottles of Pepsi Max(approx 16kgs) on a rack basket over the rear wheel and I have a very large backpack that when filled up with the sort of stuff I buy, gets to be anywhere from 22kg to 30kg in weight, so I have been putting a big load on my rear wheel in particular.
It's really great that you use the bike for so many varied purposes. But as noted by others, that 75-80 psi is way too high. Surprised that you didn;t blow the tire off, before blowing out the rim>
I did a quick look at the one 26" wheel I still have, with a 2.1 " Spec Tire - marked max of 65 psi. So I pumped it up to 65... (normally I ride my 2.1 front at 28 psi, for off-road) It was ROCK/Granite Hard ! Even 65 psi is serious crazy.
I immediately aired back down to 28...
Even with all the weight you mention, a pressure round 50 psi is gonna be hard enough for road riding your mtb wheel/tire.
I would look to getting a heavier duty wheel, rather than trying to lace up a new rim. Unless you've had some wheel building experience, building a rear wheel is more than just 'round' and straight - there's also the dish to get right. Add up a rim price and a complete spoke set and you're prolly close to a built wheel price.
DO try to get your pressures down considerably - that problem, on a front wheel, could be a injury disaster...
But do keep on using the bike for all the things you;re already doing !
Yuri