View Single Post
Old 03-15-22, 06:39 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
It's pretty common to be able to do all your car shopping online. Some even offer home delivery. Certainly common to not have to go into a dealership except to pick up the car.
Let's take your analogy out a bit.
You order your car online. Get the model, color, features you want. Shortly afterwards, your car shows up in your driveway, delivered by truck.
You did all this because you don't have any local dealers to go to. They all closed because the manufacturer changed to DTC marketing and pulled the franchises long ago.
You're happily out driving your new car for the first time, and suddenly, the "CHECK ENGINE" light comes on, and it starts running like crap. Or, after an hour long drive, you realize the drivers seat just isn't comfortable for you, and is giving you lower back pain.
Good luck getting that engine problem diagnosed and repaired under warranty. I doubt you're going to find a nearby repair shop with techs factory trained in the newest systems, and with all the required special equipment to do the diagnosis and repair. Oh, and they will probably want payment up front, and let you argue about being reimbursed by the factory, as I know of ZERO independent shops that will work for warranty times and labor rates. And it's really too bad you didn't get a chance to test drive that model before you signed on the dotted line, because you're stuck with it. (An uncomfortable seat is NOT a warranty issue.)
My LBS allows customers to test ride bikes along the MUP located right behind his shop. When you buy your bike, he takes the time to make sure everything is adjusted correctly and it fits you. 10% off any accessories (helmets, cages, etc.) I'll go to him to get what I need, even if he has to order it, and knowing full well I could order it myself from some online mega-mart to support their space program. With the supply issues lately, he'll sometimes tell me that I'm better off searching for the part online myself, because his suppliers don't have it and probably won't for some time. If I do find what I'm looking for online, and need help/special tools (such as replacing a press fit BB in a carbon frame) he's happy to do it, and his workmanship is stellar.
Would I miss him if he closed? You bet.
Likes For Bald Paul: