View Single Post
Old 03-15-22, 11:40 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
OP also complained about marginal braking performance. Of course. The rim sidewall was not in the normal position. With 80psi the tire tread could not develop normal braking traction. This is why there are complaints of poor performance from rim brakes. In any half normal situation rim brakes have more power than can be used. In any half normal circumstance the bike owner has sabotaged good performance from rim brakes.
I actually said I was pleasantly surprised by how well the XT rim brakes worked.

OP has not told us how much he weighs beyond “Clyde”. He does carry loads that require a cycle truck. The Surly Troll he rides is close enough. He needs 2.4 tires or greater. He is likely one of the cases where disc brakes make sense. To get the discs to work he will need to display more common sense than has appeared thus far. Nearly all of the disc brakes I see are performing very poorly. No amount of engineering overcomes user error.
I am currently reducing.

But my weight was over 400lbs for the first year I was riding the bike and I am down to 330lbs at the moment, with further reductions scheduled.

My LBS has replaced my wheel(with a different rim, spokes and hub combo) and I will be very mindful of not inflating the wheel to the previous levels which I now realise were too high.

Whilst I suspect my new wheel should do fine with it not being pumped up as high, me being lighter and I am going to stop using my basket on my rear rack and use my Burley Travoy instead, this new wheel will have a much easier life.

I have also replaced my original Shimano rim brake pads with some Koolstop black and salmon on the front and Jagwire pads on the rear, but it isn't like the Shimano pads were responsible for what happened, so no real difference there I suppose.

As the LBS mentioned that they thought my front tyre showed signs of some damage, I have ordered the below wheels of which I had their 29 inch brother on my Merida Big Nine hardtail, and they are indeed strong as an ox, and should be even stronger in 26 inch form.

Sun Rhyno Lite 40 spoke 26" Mountain Bike Commuter Wheelset

Front and Rear Wheel Included
MACHINED SIDEWALLS
Sun Ryhno Lite 40 Hole Rims
Strong enough for an ox!