Old 03-15-22, 05:06 PM
fhaas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Santuri32
Hello, yes that's the same as in my '85 Everest. So those bearings come in different forms, dual side shielded (sealed), single side shielded, and un-shielded. What I was thinking is that if you use a single sided-shielded bearing and leave the open side inward you could compress grease inside at the expense of increasing weight but could keep the bearings greased from the inside un-shielded side. Since the BB on these bikes were close to the tubes that is possible on this bike. What remains to be seen is whether there was a way of pushing grease to the outside in that particular bike. I have no idea if the concept could work, buy maybe? It was likely a mod based on the WTB flushable systems of the late 80s.
All the Fisher BB assemblies had two seals on the bearings. We had a Fisher special made reamer to use on the frames to remove the heat distortion caused when brazing the frames up. Gary always used green Loctite to hold the bearings in along with the C-clips. A PITA to remove them afterwards as the Loctite was semi-permanent. I still have some new unused bearings and spindles at home. Saving for a rainy day I guess.

Frank Haas, White Salmon, WA