Old 03-17-22, 09:13 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 179 Posts
It can be a matter of personal preference and I am someone who has gone without a stove and instead use a mix of cafes and no-cook alternatives.

I learned some of this on a long remote trip up the Dempster Highway in the Yukon Territory. It was 231 miles and three days cycling on mostly gravel roads before I came to the first point of civilization - the Eagle Plains motel. I had plenty of food with me - including no-cook and found the mosquitoes sometimes made it rather obnoxious to be outside my tent cooking - so I mostly ate the non-cook stuff including stopped during the day.

I figured if I can go three days without needing to cook as much - I can also plan shorter gaps. For those, I'll have a mix of staples e.g. crackers, pita, peanut butter, nuts, avocados, apples, etc - and then augment with a cafe meal when I come across them. Every once in a while you might get a place that is temporary closed or unexpected so have some margin for that too. However, then there are also large parts of the country where I can have a more common pattern of (a) get up early and leave motel/camp for an hour or two before breakfast (b) go mid-morning and stop somewhere for lunch (c) plan my ending of the day. Not everywhere but I've been able to make it work for me including some places that are more remote than the TransAmerica route.

I did however, bring a stove for the Dalton Highway in Alaska and in that case weight of stove, basic pot was a fair amount less than weight of food I needed to carry.