Old 03-19-22, 10:19 AM
winfred0000

Bikes: 1998 Diamondback mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
Those Sapim spokes and XT hub are high quality parts. I assume the Cliffhanger rim is a Velocity Cliffhanger, also high quality. These are all components to a good strong wheel. There’s no issue with using a disc compatible hub or tubeless compatible rim. You will need to install a spacer behind your 7 speed cassette, probably 4mm. The brake and shifting will both need to be adjusted with your new wheel. I’d probably check tension after 100 miles or so, sooner if you notice any loose spokes or the wheel seems out of true. Ride on!

Hi bboy314!

So great to receive your reply and in such a short time. Thanks for taking the time and your expertise! My wheel just arrived via FedEx. I measured that ring that was on the free hub body and it is 4mm, so I guess since it was used with the old wheel to use it with the new wheel too? I might with a YouTube tutorial rebuild the old hub. Maybe it's not worth it. I'll send a picture of how the spoke holes look.

I want to be able to at least partially have some usable gears, ride to the bus stop about 4 blocks and take it to a shop if I have to.

If you were me would you use one of those spoke guards that go between the cassette and the spokes because the space between the cassette might be greater than with the old wheel?

Can I haul groceries right away, or should I wait until the re-tensioning after 100 miles? On the box it says after 2 - 3 hours with mountain bike wheels and 4 - 5 hours with road bikes... so like you say about 100 miles easier to knock out of alignment?

I'll get that anti-flat fluid too.

Will it be harder with a tubeless rim to change my tires because I read that tubeless rims have more of a lip than non-tubeless rims to hold the tire on, right? Also with my new wheel here I felt along that inner lip on the rim. It is so sharp I could have cut my finger on it. Will that sharp edge cut into my tires and ruin them? Why such a sharp edge? Is that required for tubeless tires or what? Should I wait to put the tires on because I'm worried if I inflate them with such a sharp edge they will be damaged and I have very expensive tires.

The spokes I notice have one noticeable butt, but not two. The rest of the spoke is straight. Can you tell from the photos I have double butted spokes as that is what the mechanic said there will be. Also I was billed for brass nipples but they look silver ir stainless steel. Does brass get coated with silver, or do I not have brass nipples?

Thanks for Everything!
Winfred

Likes For winfred0000: