View Single Post
Old 03-19-22, 05:18 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8432 Post(s)
Liked 9,371 Times in 4,603 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
My wife and I have ridden with our club <40 years and were informed this week that we have been disinvited to some club rides for being too strong/fast. WTF? We are both over 70.

We have been ride leaders many years and we have never told anybody that they weren’t welcome to a club ride.

Also, I just payed our dues a couple weeks ago. Guess that we wasted our money.
I always did the "A" rides, even though there weren't formal groups. Lots of the older riders stopped coming out and younger ones moved in. It got to the point where I couldn't stay with the As anymore. In the early days the actual racers did their own ride, suddenly we had people racing the club rides, trying to drop people, etc. In my early 60s I started wanting to find a slower group, about the time the B riders stopped riding with us.

I discovered another club with a less racy mentality. There are still some very fast riders but they aren't trying to blow up every ride. I still ride with them sometimes but some of my friends from the old club got tired of hammering after guys 25 years younger and we now have a good group who ride together.

By coincidence today we encountered one of the guys from when I joined the club in 1989. He was out on a solo ride and he said one of the other guys he rides with is preparing to do his birthday ride-your-age-in-miles thing next month when he will be 87. It was great to hear about some of the people I rode with 30 years ago and how some of them are still riding into their 80s.