View Single Post
Old 03-20-22, 10:13 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Frowned upon? Yes.
Illegal? No.

The dividing line is if you use any of their support or services. Cookies, donuts, refreshments, mechanical support, etc...Is a direct function of the entrance fee.

What is more abstract is the route planning, their permits, security, traffic direction services like barricades & policemen. This is a function of being part of a human herd. On the one hand, you benefit from safety in numbers, they benefit from more cyclists being visible from a public relations/visibility/influence standpoint. The cost is your presence is unaccounted for so accounting cost/benefit analysis on the backend is skewed.

To avoid "theft" of the organizers work, I say don't be at the start/finish line. Don't use any services. Ride your own route that is at best coincidental (at most 50%) to the ride taking place. As if you were independently out for a ride & just happened to come across the group. Which legitimately does happen from time to time. Otherwise, just leave well enough alone.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2: