Old 03-21-22, 03:28 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by ericlowney
To be fair - I only looked for the spindle and spent a significant amount of time digging through the pile of parts. At that point I already had another spindle on the way and was hoping I could make what I had work. Maybe it is a good idea to go back there and see what they have now that I'm leaning towards replacing the BB, etc... you wouldn't buy new? I made the chart for 52 vs 48 and the 48 could work I think so long as I switch to a 6 or 7 freewheel from the 5 I have now. I would not want to ride (for long) with the 48 and my current 5sp freewheel though. I live in gears 6-9 95% of the time and maybe split the other 5% between sprinting in 10 or a mix of lower gears if I have to climb a bridge. If anything I'd like more top gear, not less. Maybe I'll try to get those barend shifters on tonight and then head to the coop tomorrow when they open.
I’d definitely buy a used crank or BB if: A. I could physically examine the parts as with either of the fitted used cranks on my bikes, or B. Purchased from a C&V member, from whom I’ve never had a poor transaction (think that’s been essentially true for all of us on C&V). Pretty sure my only new crankset was the one purchased with my new Klein frame in 1992.

I’m not a fan of any of the current new cranks other than the ones you’ve mentioned and those have gotten pricey. Sugino XD-whatever are fine.

I’ve installed plenty of used square taper cranks in 7 years rebuilding bikes for Bike Works. Never had a problem that wasn’t obvious. The challenge is to be sure the BB length is appropriate for the crank.

Sealed bearing square taper BB are either obviously bad (crunchy bearings) or fine. Just be sure to get the corresponding NDS part. Any of the Shimano varieties seem to be good. Again, I’ve used plenty of those in rebuilt bikes. OTOH, we recently had a subtle problem with one of the newer style splined BB (Octalink XX?) Not a fan, and I wasn’t before that experience, either.

Rings I’d probably get new (for middle and large, used stainless granny rings are fine) and I choose expensive TA rings that last a long time, but that’s just me. I’ve sold quite a few used rings inexpensively through our sub-forum, and hope that they’ve been good buys for the purchasers.