Old 03-22-22, 07:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18479 Post(s)
Liked 15,761 Times in 7,404 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
It would help to know the posters location. I can't imagine a more boring ride than grid roads in the flat lands.
Don't go somewhere like central IN and parts of IL. Encountered a good deal of that crossing the country. Some of the ACA map panels show nothing but straight lines. Parts of ND are good for that as well. Did a century there one day. Including the two turns to do the out and back leg to get you to 100 miles, there were maybe 5 turns until we reached the outskirts of Bismarck, which is where we would spend the night. earlier in the trip, which was a supported tour, we did this:

Bike Route Planner - Ride with GPS

Straight out of camp then 4 turns to get tot he entrance of our overnight. We had to ride ion I-94 because there no other paved options. It was early in the AM. Think I got passed by maybe 3 cars. Don't let the profile fool you. Those grades are not steep. What was killer was the wind. Napoleon, where we stopped for lunch, to the next turn is 18 miles of nothing, but pretty in its own way. There was a woman with her daughter by the side of the road with water and Gator-Ade for rider. We stopped and asked her how far to the turn, where there was full rest stop. She said "Nine miles." I couldn't believe it. I said "I feel like we've been riding for an hour since we left Napoleon." My friend looked at her watch as said "We have." One hour to go 9 miles over easy terrain. Going down the rollers in a tuck I would reach 12-14 mph. While at the next stop the SGA bus pulled up. It was full.