View Single Post
Old 03-24-22, 10:57 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
No thread needed. Just don't pedal through a super tight, slow turn. Ratchet one pedal stroke if you need to. The only reason you would need to keep pedaling is if you are on a fixie. I've been riding road/gravel bikes for the past 25 years with toe overlap and never once fell over due to it.

Or alter the bikes handling. It's up to you.

A bike that changes its handling characteristics to avoid something that I already avoid without issue is my definition of "faulty design".
I learned the ratcheting method, because I had to with that particular bike. But this type of ultra low speed U-turn occurred for me so infrequently that ratcheting wasn't instilled in me as a 2nd nature instinct, and sometimes I'd forget to ratchet, overlap occurred, and I went down. I then bought a Spec Roubaix that doesn't do that. Overlap problem solved (for me). I'm not saying overlap can't be lived with, I'm saying I won't live with it. And apparently others think this way too. Have you never replaced something that didn't perform the way you wanted it to, with one that does? Or do you just continue to use sub-par stuff because you can learn to work around its faults?