View Single Post
Old 03-24-22, 11:32 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Is that the only two choices? Sorry, but M.G.L. Chapter 90 Section 14 specifically is a drafting nightmare. It's a big block of text,jumping from subject to subject, I ride a lot in MA. I have no basic complaints about the contents of the laws and the lack of a FRAP rule is alright by me. But I certainly can't defend a statute looking like this. I mean, no numbering of clearly separate provisions just jumbles the whole thing together for no good end. Since some of the provisions apply to "motor vehicles" and others to "vehicles", jumbling them into one crazy paragraph is bound to lead to confusion. The school bus provision refers to the operator of a motor vehicle and then refers to "his vehicle" in the same paragraph with provisions that clearly use the term "vehicle" to apply to bicycles, for example. Anyway, this is what the thing looks like:

[Hell section elided for clarity]
While it seems like we should have a legislature that could walk and chew gum at the same time, we are faced with the true dichotomy.

We can EITHER redraft a section. OR we can add substantive changes to a section. We can't do both at at the same time. (In fact, anyone who attempts both in one bill gets their hand slapped by the process.)

-mr. bill