View Single Post
Old 03-24-22, 05:38 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
If you've fallen 'several times' and continue to ride the bike you are obvisouly not satisfied with I don't know what to say. You either learn to deal w/ it or you don't...and you continue to fall because you're too stubborn to learn simple techniques that thousands of riders have figured out with ease. How to avoid it? Obviously don't put yourself in situations where it will cause problems. Don't do trackstands. Don't make super tight turns at very low speeds. It's not hard. As I mentioned I've had it on every bike I've owned and it's just not a big deal. Or get a custom frame that will eliminate it but probably won't fit well.
I relegated that bike (that I put 12,200 miles on) to Zwift when I got a Spec Roubaix that didn't have overlap for me. And I ultimately got rid of the bike a year ago, to a new rider that I expected to not make more advanced super slow turns on, but I warned them. With that bike I both learned to deal with overlap, as well as moments of not dealing with it...well. I'm an Engineer and learn things quite well, as well as learning to deal with overlap by short stroke ratcheting, which isn't hard to learn, but is hard to instantly recall to do. My slow speed u-turns happened so infrequently that it's easy to not put it away to muscle memory. Low speed turns are more about balance than anything, so that's what you focus on, and therefore overlap is easy to occur when you least expect it, in my experience. Because overlap is one of those things that can take you down very quickly, and unexpectedly, albeit sometimes at near track stand speeds, I believe anything that can take you down without warning shouldn't be thought of as "not a big deal" and is irresponsible of you to imply. I didn't need a custom frame to eliminate it, just a production frame/fork that didn't have it (for me), and I didn't have to look hard to find it. The bike that I replaced the "overlap" bike with, now has 18,000 miles on it and I haven't fallen from overlap once, because it has none, for me.

Last edited by Riveting; 03-24-22 at 05:45 PM.