View Single Post
Old 03-28-22, 10:39 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
You have a point, but I will say this... The best way to start is often something I didn't mention. Just get out on what you have and do some touring. That or ride something that is very easily affordable. Then spend more when you better know what you want. The only reason I didn't lobby for riding what he has is that he said it was too big. I tend to think folks most often fit bikes too large so I hesitated to go down that road. Riding a too large bike might be miserable.

Also racks on most MTB without the bosses are not really all that complicated of a deal.
I think we agree really just slightly different view on the situation. I see a dude with back packing experience (so he at least knows how to not die.) and he has a bike that is to big(so its fair to assume he has ridden a bike)... In that scenario I would just say go buy the right touring bike. Doesnt really sound like he travels ultra light either.

I agree it is easy to convert a MTB and the addition of mounting points is not complicated. its just one more thing to learn.