View Single Post
Old 04-01-22, 10:09 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 254 Posts
Maybe you could post the model name. IMO, wearing in bearings is a stupid concept.
Anyway, it's now my practice to disassemble all pedals right away. If they are tight, they are most likely cup/ cone loose bearing. Most have a reasonable bearing size design that is workable. The nut will be 10 or 11 mm. If they are too horrible to work with, then they are GARBAGE. I expect them to spin by hand several revs, the dust seal may slow them, but will still be OK as long as the feel is OK. Whatever the bearings, they will need cleaning every 2,000 miles.

I bumbled into such POS pedals, the cheapest model of Vsixty. It had moronic 1/16" bearings with zero chance to improve function. I got a refund and told the LBS to quit stocking them. The bastards are still selling them at $33.
The $60+ Vsixty ones are very nice with a sealed bearing on the outside end and a bushing on the other. These also have the benefit of NOT needing adjustment, lube, tighten the nut, cap on and done. I've used some of them 15,000+ miles.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 04-01-22 at 11:03 PM.