Old 04-05-22, 08:03 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked 1,989 Times in 1,245 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
If it helps, you really only need a couple 15 mm cone wrenches for most hubs. I use a standard metric wrench or even a Crescent adjustable wrench for the outside nuts (they're easier to keep on the nut flats than the skinny 17 mm cone wrench).
Originally Posted by HillRider
Apparently you haven't worked on very many hubs. Over the years I have accumulated every Park cone wrench size from 13mm through 22mm (except 18mm) and have used every one on one hub or another. I even have an older Dura Ace hub that requires two 14mm cone wrenches as the locknuts aren't the usual 17mm hex but flanged nuts with a cone wrench groove. The most needed sizes are 13, 14 and 15 cone wrenches and a 17mm regular box or open end but all the others have been needed.
I'm not sure our positions are mutually exclusive. Running a bike shop? Sure, you'll probably want a full set of cone wrenches. And other specialized tools, like perhaps a bottom bracket shell facing tool, which most casual cyclists won't need to maintain their bike(s). From the tone of the O.P., my assumption is that he's the latter use case.