Old 04-05-22, 10:48 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6249 Post(s)
Liked 4,272 Times in 2,393 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I spent decades reviewing and approving protocols in regulated. I did not say it was a protocol but nonetheless, I have seen worse ones on products you might have installed in your body. That is a fact. You asserted you could find 'Little how they arrive at those results" The link provided is an overview of the testing and the rationale for it. Nothing more and nothing less.
Zero Friction calls it a “protocol”…in the link you provided. I spent decades developing and writing protocols. I know what a “protocol” is and how to write one. It should have detailed step-by-step instructions with evidence that the protocol works. Each step should be extensively tested to see if it works and, more importantly, if it is necessary.

I assert you are wrong. There is a lot of information provided how testing is conducted and they apply it consistently from chain to chain. Free. No charge. Admittedly, the website is sloppy and one has to read a little bit.
That’s your opinion. I agree that the website is sloppy. It’s hard to read and you have to wade through a whole lot of extraneous (and repetitive) information to find anything useful. The fact that their chain wear results are so far off what most people report makes the information even less useful.

BTW.....what are you talking about comparing their results to mine. I did not routinely ride in the conditions under which they test. I sometimes ride under those conditions and if I do, the chain gets cleaned thoroughly and rewaxed. I also ride in low load conditions, my average power might be 115 watts compared to 250 watts. I rarely push the limits of wear on my chains, if I do, it is by accident. I try to ditch them as 0.5%.
I’m not sure where you ride but I ride in all kinds of conditions. From dusty to rain to snow with touring loads, no loads, mountain biking, and mountain biking with loads. I won’t estimate what my power output is but it is probably average, whatever that is. I discard my chains at 0.75% on a Park chain checker because that’s what the instructions on the checker say to do for a 9 speed chain. I get about 3000 miles per chain. Not what you get but far more than what Zero Friction reports.

I suspect you have spent less time reading how they test than writing a response to me.
Of course I spent less time reading their “protocol” than I did writing a response. There is a whole lot of fat and gristle in that “protocol” and not a whole lot of meat. That’s one of the reasons I don’t pay much attention to Zero Friction. There’s a whole lot of useless material to wade through for not much useful stuff.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!