View Single Post
Old 04-05-22, 08:44 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Headed out to my bank, then went southwest into an 18mph headwind to the White Tank Regional Park. That headwind became a tailwind I much appreciated on my return leg! Got up to 90+ today, so I was happy to find plenty of places along my route to refill my water bottle. Even slammed a Gatorade at the White Tank Library while chilling out at my halfway point. Some pics follow.

USAF F-16s awaiting take-off at Luke AFB:

The gearing I was using into the headwind - yes, I was in the 39t up front, too:

Saw this wildlife at the Wildlife World Zoo when doing a hydration top-up:

Our destination is a few miles further up this road:

Looks inviting; don't think I didn't consider taking my shoes and socks off and wading around in there for a bit:

Here we are at the halfway point:

These big guys abound throughout the White Tanks - note the bird hanging out on the right-hand arm:

Ice-cold drinking fountain water and air conditioning - nice:

Probably hit the speed on that sign with the help of that 18mph tailwind on the return leg:

Not your everyday selfie:

A nice ride despite the heat. Still and all, I ended it feeling a little sad and not a little guilty: not three miles in, going slowly and just tootling along the centerline, a prairie dog zipped out onto the trail and I had no time to react/avoid him. I swear I went right over him, just behind his head, and even heard/felt a slight 'crack' when I did so. When I looked back there was nothing to be seen - but no way he survived. No way. Poor little guy...

DD