Old 04-12-22, 04:51 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by schwim
Hello there, everyone!

I'm struggling to dig my way out of a poor physical condition and would like to ride more than I can right now. I've always hated just sitting on a stationary bike and staring into space for an hour or so and my brother is using something that I thought was pretty cool-Zwift. The issue I have is that I need to get into it as inexpensively as possible. I'd like a wheel on trainer due to it's simplicity and being able to just mount whatever bike is handy to use.

What I can't seem to figure out is if there's a wheel-on trainer that supports the ability to change resistance as you're riding. I'm reading Amazon reviews and specifications and it keeps mentioning that a model can "with a speed sensor" which is where I get stuck.

Can anyone tell me the least expensive method of getting into a Zwift-compatible trainer that can handle changing the resistance based on the Zwift ride?

Thanks for your time!
There are a few very good wheel-on trainers that do have controllable resistance. I used a Kickr Snap for several years. I'm not sure it's the absolute cheapest, but it's less expensive than direct-drive options and is very solidly built.

I will say though - I know it seems now like a wheel-on trainer is easier - it's actually as easy and faster to install a bike on a direct-drive trainer than a wheel on.
Likes For Viich: