View Single Post
Old 04-16-22, 10:46 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2481 Post(s)
Liked 3,215 Times in 2,025 Posts
So...another quandary clunker for Dave

Fun and inventive ideas accepted and welcomed!

Welp, i usually have a good idea but there must have been a fog since I though it was closer to 54 cm. It is not. It is 52. Oops.

Since I always honor my offers, and especially since the guy came down to $50, I picked it up and put it on the rack.

Which makes me wonder whether or not to try to create a straight bar special on this one.

The good: frame is in patina-ed, but good shape. Polish and wax. ARX set and power shifter. Decent Sugino RT crankset. MKS Sylvan quills with dust caps! Sugino SPH seatpost that actually came out. Rusty but usable Dia Compe 400s. The stem is not cracked. The seat is probably prostate-destroying but in excellent shape...and Fuji on it. Chain looks surprisingly...usable.

The bad: Freaking 27” wheels again which makes tires problematic. I might be able to make 62 miles on them. And perhaps even survive. Probably will have to put on all 62.5 miles in my hood. Leaky battery on Cateye computer means no bueno. And as stated before, it is way too small.

The ugly: the hoods melted so badly that it dripped into the lever cable end caverns. It's a Fuji (hee hee)

My options.
1. Replace the seatpost and stem with longer ones and keep drop bar, and replace levers and cables. Utilize chiropractor which doesn’t count against $108

2. Replace bar and levers with straight bar/finger levers, stretch current post as far as it can and find used 27 x 1.25 or so tires.

3. Ride 21 short 3 mile jaunts as is without brakes and call it a wrap! Hope I don’t need brakes.

4. make it a single speed somehow.

5. find another sucker to buy it.

Last edited by jdawginsc; 04-16-22 at 11:01 AM.