View Single Post
Old 04-16-22, 04:59 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,793 Times in 913 Posts
Pumped up the tires on the Ebisu All Purpose Bicycle and rode East.

Dwelled on Medford Center a bit at the beginning of the ride. There was a Seasonal Apparition...

There was a larger-than-life chess set, ready to model foreign policy (with an old boneyard in the background, for a bit of perspective)...

And there was Ebisuya Japanese Market. The Ebisu seeks out its namesake from time to time, the Lucky Fisherman. A group of Japanese people entering the market looked twice, then pointed at the bike and said, "Hai, Ebisu!"

Went haring over the flats and hills of Arlington, Medford, Malden, Melrose, Stoneham, and Winchester; I was occasionally buffeted by a gusty wind, but encountered no rain. This route admits to lots of variation, and today I changed things up a bit on the return, crossing I-93 on the overpass between Marble Street, Stoneham, and Forest Street, Winchester. This has no ramps from the highway itself, making it especially useful to cyclists.

Forest Street connects to the aptly-named Highland Ave, Winchester. This street starts with a steep climb and ends with a steep descent; symmetry ensures that's true whether you start from Forest Street on the North end, or Main Street on the South. In between lies a pleasing series of rollers. The climb up from Forest Street ends at Winchester Hospital, convenient in the event of a coronary.

Flowering trees were in bloom along the whole length of the street.

Soon enough, I went barreling down the final hill to Main Street, Winchester.

I continued South on Main Street, which became Winthrop Street when I crossed into Medford. Turning onto Playstead Road, I paused for a moment to admire the WWI memorial at Oak Grove Cemetery. Titled "The Supreme Sacrifice", it was denounced by some as insufficiently warlike.

That done, I rode down Playstead Road to West Medford, crossed the tracks, then rode a few short blocks on Harvard Avenue to the Mystic River, crossed it, and rode home.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 04-20-22 at 06:35 AM.
Likes For rholland1951: