View Single Post
Old 04-18-22, 11:36 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 4,537 Times in 3,370 Posts
90 minutes late is just a handicap, right. Don't want to embarrass the young kids by too much do you?

When a wakeup call is critical, I like to do redundant alarms (cell, clock, etc).

My big "organized ride" that I've done a couple of times is the "Blackberry Century". About 10 miles from my house to the start line (BY BIKE). Then 100 miles, and 10 miles back home. The first year I actually brought 2 bikes with me, one for me, one for my riding companion.

There are a couple of disorganized hill climb rides up in Portland. I've done a solo century and a half to a double century ride the day before, hammered out the half century of hills, then back home a few days later.

I'm trying to think of the last time I actually drove to the start line of an organized ride. Perhaps as a kid doing bike-a-thons, getting a lift from my parents.

Even the "Reach the Beach" ride 30 years ago was 100% by bike, carrying overnight gear. About 30 miles to the start in Monroe, arriving by the crack of dawn, 150 miles to Lincoln City, then camped, and back home the next day (taking a few shortcuts).

Getting to the "Ride the Rim" was a hard ride, about 150 miles, and 2 1/2 miles elevation climbing, fully loaded to get to the rim. I had intended to do it in 1 day, but it was actually 1 1/2 days. So, a bit of a late start for the rim ride, which was very much anticlimactic. Still, there was a crowd of riders, so it was fine. Then another day and a half back home.

When I did the Portland Marathon 25 years ago, it was riding about 5 miles to the start. Locking the bike, running the marathon, then a bit of recuperation, and riding back home.

Anyway, I have to wonder why car problems actually stopped the one ride. Do the ride and fix the car later.