View Single Post
Old 04-18-22, 06:39 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I don’t agree.

two locks still means two attempts at freeing a bike compared to one for most other bikes. That means cutting one lock, repositioning and aligning to cut the second lock. Having two different lock styles makes it more complicated for the thieves without grinders.

I also offer our track record of 18 years of bike usage spread over two bikes at a major urban university over the last 10 years. No thefts and no attempts of consequence. Bikes are nice high quality vintage racing bikes with leather saddles, hand built wheels, campy hubs etc….

It’s not about how hard it is for a thief to get your bike out on absolute terms but how much more inconvenient it is compared to an immediately accessible bike next to yours in relative terms. Thieves are all about risk/reward optimization. Spending even slightly more time is much higher risk than a quick hit of a lower value bike.
Fine that you disagree but I disagree with you, I know how angle grinders work, and it would only take an average of 15 to 30 seconds for each lock, the longest was 1 minute 10 seconds to cut through a single Kryptonite NY Fahgettaboudit D lock. Now there is one lock that took over an hour to cut through it, the Altor SAF, but that lock is not very portable, it's huge. But 1 minute 10 seconds is fast. The other problem is that most citizens if they see this sort of action going on will not involve themselves for fear of getting shot, so don't use the idea of some good citizen coming to the rescue of your bike, it isn't worth their life.

Now there is a new type of lock material coming out that promises to defeat angle grinders and drills, not out yet in a full retail march through bicycle internet stores, but eventually it might, below is a web site that talks about what damage angle grinders do and what the answer might be.

https://thebestbikelock.com/security...o%20be%20exact.
Likes For rekmeyata: