urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
90db is obviously way too low, that's quieter than a motorcycle. Sirens are as loud as they are because they're supposed to give drivers ahead sufficient notice to get out of the way. In a crowded city, that takes some time. They need to be loud enough to be heard at a distance from inside a motor vehicle. The link you provided states that MC engines are 95db (which is a lot louder than 90). When you're driving, how close does the motorcycle need to be before you can hear it inside your car?

I think we have to appreciate that the loudness of sirens is not calibrated for warning cyclists, and look at it as an issue of personal hearing protection if it poses a problem for us. After all, if we get hit by a car, we definitely might need the EMTs to have an effective way to clear the road to get to us.
Good point. I would still say limit it to 110 since that’s where instant hearing damage starts. I’m sure everyone’s hearing experience is different, but I feel like I hear sirens before they’re even close enough to worry about (in a car). I’m talking 3-4 city blocks away, and sometimes not even coming down the street I’m on. Then again, I don’t blast loud music or have a 95dB engine on my vehicle.