urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Yeah, that question was definitely one from lack of knowledge. I was trying to think of an analogy, and the best I could think of was that if I have a serious sharp pain sensation in my foot chronically, I might be in danger of not noticing when I step on glass or something else actually sharp. I think what you're telling me is that the ringing is distinct enough from actual sounds that you don't confuse the two and may actually be more acutely aware of the actual sounds.
Tinnitus is generally a neurological response to hearing loss (so we're not actually hearing a sound), which usually starts at the higher frequencies, and tinnitus has been described as the brain trying to replace those lost pitches. Although sirens have overtones at those frequencies, their fundamental pitches are much lower. I have read that it can in fact be perceived as loud enough to distract someone, and some people will even turn up their TV or radio to try and drown it out, but my personal experience is that the intensity is low enough to hear all other sounds fairly normally. As a matter of fact, the intensity seems louder when I am consciously thinking about it, but otherwise can be ignored when going about my daily business.

That's my rudimentary understanding of it. Hope that helps.