View Single Post
Old 04-20-22, 08:25 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
I would never recommend a sidewall generator for any purpose. I had one on my utility bike for a while.

There are some newer ones that instead of using the sidewall of a tire have a roller on the rim, they are called rim dynamos. Some owners like them. I have no such experience so I can't comment. I think the Velological was the first one that gained any foothold in that mkt. Those came out when rim brakes and machined rim braking surfaces were the norm, not sure how they work on rims that were designed for disc brakes, that would be something to research if the roller would wear the paint off the rim.

If you wanted to have a dynamo system and did not want to get a dynohub, I would check out a rim dynamo before considering a sidewall one.

I have several dynohubs and dyno powered lighting systems on some of my bikes. They are great.

But in this era with powerful low energy LED lights and high capacity powerbanks, a battery system could be a good option too if the purpose is for events of no more than four days and four dark nights.

There are too many good options out there to consider using one that rubs on the tire sidewall.