View Single Post
Old 04-20-22, 09:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10456 Post(s)
Liked 11,947 Times in 6,115 Posts
Sidewalks are for pedestrians, which means when you ride there you should ride as walking speed. Certainly no faster than jogging speed. Kids are allowed to ride on sidewalks because they're safer there and they aren't going that fast. There is ONE place that I ride on the sidewalk - I live on a busy street, near an intersection with another busy street, so when I'm approaching my house on the opposite side of the street, I'll swing over to the other side for the last 20-40 yards, and if the sidewalk is empty, I'll take it, at fast walking speed, to get to my house.

Drivers look for hazards in the customary places, moving in the customary direction, at the customary speed. On sidewalks, we expect people moving in either direction at walking speed. On the road, whether in the traffic lane or bike lane, we expect other vehicles moving only in one direction, at a greater speed. If you ride on the sidewalk at greater than walking speed, you're moving at an unexpected speed in an unexpected place, possibly in an unexpected direction.

And stop calling us "cagers".

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: