Old 04-21-22, 08:59 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 308 Posts
Not all sirens are the same... When I was riding in the back seat of the bus, our bus had a nice electronic noise maker connected to the PA system. Not all that loud: we could go over the call in route so that everyone on the team knew their role.

That way all the tools we would likely need would go in the house with us. No " where is the IV kit" on scene.

But one of our engines had an old school mechanical Federal siren. That thing was loud, but well below the level of instantaneous damage.

But you couldn't hear what the person sitting next to you was saying. Ever noticed that the crew in any fire apparatus are wearing headsets? You need them to discuss assignments.

And if you want to know why the sirens are so loud look around when an ambulance or fire apparatus goes by. Notice all the cars that don't get out of the way?

I believe that some high end vehicles have noise canceling systems. Same idea as noise canceling headphones. A sound wave with a complementary phase cancels out the sound so the energy reaching the ear is reduced.

​​​​​​No matter. When you hear the siren please just get to the side of the road. And don't match my candidate for all time <expletives deleted> and pass any public safety vehicle traveling lights and siren.

Edit: the reason that an ambulance goes out with a fire apparatus is that it is an OSHA and an NFPA (they set fire fighting standards) requirement. Sometimes things go askew on a fire scene and having the tools needed ready to go can save a life.

And if a fire apparatus goes on a medical call you can be sure that it is a medical quick response team on the apparatus and they will be doing the initial patient care.

Or maybe there is a safety issue that may require their support. You would be amazed at how much of the cost of an emergency response is not billed. At least it was not 10 years ago...

Last edited by DangerousDanR; 04-21-22 at 09:23 PM.
Likes For DangerousDanR: