View Single Post
Old 04-21-22, 09:35 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Originally Posted by JessyMathers
I'm guessing we can make at least 5 miles a day minimum, and max might be 8-10
To get an idea of what you're thinking, take a look at some maps and plan out a month or so of traveling. I know where I live it can be 30 to 80 miles between towns where you'd be able to buy real groceries. There are some places where it can be over 100 miles between towns. I'd be worried about raw meat spoiling if left out in the summer heat for long. If you're wanting to travel 5 - 10 miles a day on a permanent basis, you'll going to be very limited on your route.

You're going to be at risk of finding yourself without a legal place to camp. Most places won't arrest people for camping illegally, but some towns come down very hard on illegal camping. If you're thinking of traveling 5 miles per day, there will be days there will be no places to camp legally.

If you're thinking about having your dogs pull a trailer, the connections between the dogs and trailer will need to be solid rods. What's going to happen when they're pulling the trailer downhill? They can't be tethered to the trailer by a rope, because they trailer could speed up and run into them or pass them, dragging them along. Even with a solid rod, the trailer could still come along beside them and pass them up. You'll need something like this:https://happydoginstitute.com/weight-pulling/

Financially, unexpected expenses can occur at anytime. You need to consider weather events - days of rain, wind, hail storms. What about being in the wrong place at the wrong time during tornado and hurricane season?

I recommend you plan and do an overnight out and back trip to a campground 5 or so miles from your house. Include a bailout plan and find someone willing to come and pick you up if it's not working out for yourself or your dogs. You'll learn tons from a short trip or two before you decided if or how to do an extended trip.

Last edited by mtnbud; 04-21-22 at 09:45 PM.
Likes For mtnbud: