View Single Post
Old 04-22-22, 05:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
That bus driver is an idiot! They should have pulled that bus over far enough to the right where a vehicle would not be able to get past it on the right side. Yes, the car driver was an idiot as well, but the job of the bus driver is to eliminate as much as possible an idiot motorist from doing that. Eliminate the danger to the right side so then all you have left is the danger on the left side to watch for instead of danger coming from two sides.

Motorists are stupid, where I live, I see cars and trucks blowing past stop arms at full speed, they don't care, all they care about is getting to work on time instead of waking up 3 minutes earlier. Hell, I've seen cops blow past stop arms!! It's even against the law for a cop car, fire truck, or ambulance with their lights and sirens going to blow past a school bus with their red lights flashing and the stop arm out, the cops I saw did not have any lights or sirens, they just didn't care.

The one thing I did notice with school buses, is that when the sun is shining directly on those red flashers, the light from the sun just flushes the red lights out, the most difficult one to see under those circumstances is the stop arm. The school bus manufacturers need to make those lights a lot brighter. I also think they should incorporate the brake lights to flash as well as along with the hazards, but I have a feeling that might be a vehicle code legal issue; along with making the stop arm at least 50% larger and make it stick out on an arm by at least two feet from the side of the bus.

Some school buses have cameras that will take a picture of a car blowing the stop arm, problem with that is that law enforcement, at least where I live, won't do anything about it, just send a little letter explaining what their duty is when they see a stopped school but with their reds on. The cameras do help in case of an accident with a child, but they need to issue tickets to those idiots that blow the arms, and expensive tickets at that to make people think before they run the lights.

Calling the bus driver an idiot is BS. If you watch the video, it's quite clear that the bus door is well into the breakdown lane and the car is halfway off the road bed when she passed. There's no way to anticipate that someone might actually go off the road to pass on the right, especially when the bus driver is expecting an adult to meet the bus on the right side.

Stopping further to the right would risk hitting someone in her blind spot.
Likes For livedarklions: