View Single Post
Old 04-22-22, 06:49 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by JessyMathers
I know what wolves do, and I understand that mine will not be able to do 30-40 miles a day because of the weight. Mine are also not pure wolves, nor have they toned their bodies their entire lives like a wild wolf because they don't have to travel or hunt. I'm hoping mine won't have to pull that much weight. I'll be on bike and pedalling to help them pull the weight, so we will all be sharing the weight as much as possible. And I also understand that I'm on wheels which doesn't impact my body like being on foot for my dogs does. Just so much to factor in, and I just don't know how else for us to travel around in a way that could be better and/or safer. It's either by foot or by bike, and I think the bike is the better option considering my dogs usually like to get moving at a pace much faster than I can keep up. And considering their food, their raw meat diet is probably enough, because I also incorporate other stuff in their food from time to time also, and we won't be doing anything nearly as strenuous as the Iditarod. I'm guessing we can make at least 5 miles a day minimum, and max might be 8-10 in an emergency (ex: we need to get somewhere for food ect), with preferably a day or two off each week to rest. Never did a bike tour before, so I have no idea how this is gonna go, and it's so much harder to figure out with my rare situation. I want to do I trial run sometime if I ever get the chance, but idk how to even do that really without going a good distance.
Have you even ridden a bike with the dogs? Generally people teach their dogs to run with them on a bike not to pull them... Its not really safe for a dog to pull you(like for you mostly) pulling a sled across a snow wasteland is way different than dragging a bike down a interstate.

Doesnt sound like you really have a grasp on distance that can be traveled on a bike, you dont need a bike for 10 miles a day, you can do that walking with two dogs and a stolen shopping cart from walmart. Where do you plan on sleeping everynight? under bridges?
Originally Posted by JessyMathers
Idk, it's just a kids Mongoose Kong fat bike. That's what I got, and that's what I plan on using. Idk anything about bikes really.
Probably should learn a little bit about bikes if you plan to live on one for the rest of your life.
Originally Posted by John N
I would strongly consider an electric cargo bike. Look into what dogs need as the pavement will wear them down quickly. Where do you plan to camp each night? The southeast is not that welcoming to stealth camping and trying to camp stealthily with two large dogs will be difficult. You most likely will have to carry food with you since you plan to only do 5-10 miles per day since a lot of grocery stores are more than 10 miles apart in the rural areas.
A ebike seems like a terrible Idea. now the poor dogs will have to drag that weight to when in runs out of power...
Likes For sloppy12: