Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2768 Post(s)
Liked 2,546 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
The way I see it, all this talk of "burping" from a hard bump or something pressing against the sidewall seems to be quite an inconvenience for saving a bit of weight by not using a tube. With a tube, you won't (usually) get any accidental release of air from bumping into something. I've never gotten a "snakebite", but maybe others have (although I have always had tires wider than 1.6" (40mm) in thickness). Perhaps it's something more common for people doing jumps and drops (or riding on extremely narrow tires) compared to simply riding on smoothly paved roads.

Pinching of tubes between tire and rim is avoidable with careful tire installation. Punctures, at least for me, are usually not a sudden loss of air, but happens over at least several seconds with enough time to slow down and stop. I've been told that the sealant in tubeless setups will seal punctures of the tire, but if you really wanted to, you could also fill tubes with slime, although some people tell me that tubeless sealant is more effective than tube slime. You're still getting less chances of catastrophic air loss with a tube when riding on paved roads.

Someone on another thread mentioned "ghetto tubeless" for rims that aren't designed for tubeless. It involves wrapping the rim walls with a tube sliced down the center, installing the tire, filling it with sealant, pumping it with air, and then trimming the excess tube that sticks out from in between the rim and tire. Then, every time you want to remove and reinstall your tire, you have to sacrifice a new tube. Seems kind of pointless when you can just use the tube normally instead of cutting it up.
If you are running enough pressure to avoid snakebites with tubes, then you are running WAY more than enough pressure to avoid burping a tubeless tire.