Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2768 Post(s)
Liked 2,546 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPhyzx
On the first: maybe, but I have broken the bead on a lot of tubeless setups including some that are partially inflated, and this was much louder. People that came to the scene from nearby homes actually thought it was a gunshot: this was not a burp, but the bead completely blowing off the rim. In any case, if this can happen without it being obvious to the rider (sealant spraying on legs - been there many times) then tubeless cannot be safe. There is no sealant on the frame, FWIW, so hard to see how this makes sense. Even small leaks where you lose 10-20 psi always leave a lot of sealant on the back of the seat tube.

On the second: I'm not an amateur with the taping, and it was perfect when the tire was installed. Also, the tape has nothing to do with "seating the bead on the bead shelf". I mean, it can leak there if not taped well, but the tape cannot prevent the tire from being seated properly - the force there is huge. See also: 1500-2000 miles (and probably 80 rides through the same turn on the same tire) beforehand. I take this turn on at least 2/3 of my rides every year. Also... I was not cornering particular aggressively: I was already pedaling (so within pedal clearance) when it blew out.

Next! (I fully expect everyone who rides tubeless to show up with the idea that it can't happen to them, because they are too careful. Would have been me a month ago to: I am insanely - perhaps infamously - anal with this kind of stuff at home and at work. But, people listen to me because I am too often right.)
You are under a few misconceptions here (including what you think I am referring to in the taping job), but you make it pretty clear that your are not that interested in hearing about it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do here.

Last edited by Kapusta; 04-22-22 at 04:38 PM.