Old 04-26-22, 10:18 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 447 Posts
One can never be too rich nor have too many wheelsets...
Ok, so the first one is not gonna happen.. LOL!
second one, I've been a constant advocate of...

finally after a month of screwin around and considerin what might be good 'incremental gain', I decided a few weeks back to get a new upgrade wheelset for my Poseidon X.
Settled on the FSA non-series convertible wheels in 700c - which I finally got my hands on a week ago. Then also needed centerlock rotors and another cassette.
Today, finally put some time into getting it all put together and onto the bike.

FSA non-series Convertible Wheelset, 700c, with supplied adapters for QR9
Put on the same rubber as what I've been using on the stock wheels, but keeping the stock wheels also shod, so they can be switched back on at any time.
Conti Speed Ride 42mm on front, and the Kenda Small Block 35mm on the rear. I did do something unusual by making the Front 'Tubeless" and the Rear with a Schwalbe TPU Aerothan tube. Thinking I might be able to discern a difference, either in performance/ride/feel or durability, puncture resistance. No, its not gonna be conclusive or possibly even discernable, but the idea seemed fun.

Poseidon X with FSA Convertible wheels, Redhsift Shockstop stem, ZIPP Bars and Rockshox seatpost

Anyway, these new wheels are now in the cleanest state they'll ever be; so a pic seemed like a good idea. LOL!
Primary objective was to get the overall weight down from the 26.8 lbs of the bike in stock form. Figured the wheels would be the largest/easiest to put a dent in the weight. Noting also that the Redshift stem does double the weight of a normal alloy stem...
SO overall bike weight as shown, and with stock wheels - 26.8 lbs
Current Bike weight, with new FSA wheelset, set up as noted above - 24.7 lbs.
So the swap from 'stock' wheels to the FSA, brought the overall weight down just a hair over 2 lbs. - Nice!
Rode it out in my local greenspace this evening, to get a feel. Bike is just a bit livelier, new wheels ride nicely - but so did the stock wheels. Not much, if any, perceived difference between TubeLess and TPU inner tube.
I still find the stock wheels to be a good value, as are the new FSA Convertible wheels.
One thing I do like much better with the Stock wheels - they are almost noiseless when coasting. The FSA wheels have a more audible/loud freehub ratcheting - not quite as emphasized as a Chris King hub, maybe a little closer to the noise level of Mavic Hubs... The stock wheels are virtually silent - I like that a lot... Oh well, can;t have everything.
Overall, I like the 'upgrades' I've done; BUT, the Poseidon X in stock form is a very nice bike, and would easily be a bike I could have fun on without worrying about 'upgrades'.
Ride On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 04-26-22 at 10:23 PM.
Likes For cyclezen: