View Single Post
Old 04-28-22, 07:34 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by Jno
When imbalanced side to side, my bike wobbled (like a speed wobble, but at low speed and probably nothing to do with frequency). Is wobble just a fact of touring life that doesn’t trouble you, or do you not get it even when you have load imbalances?
I have not had problems with wobbles due to umbalanced loads or speed wobbles either for that matter. I have ridden a huge amount of miles in my 71 years on the planet.. I rode all kinds of bikes and raced on and off road as well as toured fairly extensively. I always figured that there was a rider contributed component to the wobbles. A pilot friend referred to the phenominom as PIOs or pilot induced oscillations. His observation was that some riders were very prone to them, some less so, and some practically immune. Also it may be something that you can train yourself to avoid, but not everyone will be successful at that. I figure it is a little like toe overlap in the sense that the potential may be there on a given bike but some riders may never even notice just automatically avoiding the overlap, some may notice once adjust to it and never have a problem again automatically avoiding the overlap from then on, and others may find it problematic forever unless thay switch to a different bike or change the setup somehow.

Some stuff on PIOs at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot-induced_oscillation