View Single Post
Old 04-28-22, 10:41 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8384 Post(s)
Liked 9,283 Times in 4,559 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Perhaps, but I use it as shorthand to say that in the opinion of the general population of car buyers, Toyota vehicles, when even reasonably maintained, will easily get you 200k if not 300k, and they won't nickel and dime you to death with chintzy problems caused by inferior parts and shoddy workmanship.

Anecdotally, I used to commute with Cressida's back in the day. I bought them used, always with 100k+ miles on them, and never failed to at least double that mileage before replacing with a newer one. My best Cressida gave me 350k+ miles before giving up the ghost. My '77 Celica simply would not die no matter how much I neglected it; it finally succumbed to unsightly rust. Sentimentally my favorite car, earned me several speeding tickets over the years.
One good thing about living here is there is no rust. Cars will go as long as you keep fixing them. I had my 65 Chevy truck for 19 years, sold it for more than I paid for it, and it was running great. I would have kept it longer bur my ex hated it. Plus I wanted my first new car.

Later, I bought the Blazer 4x4 for the snow and I hoped it would last one year because it had the notorious 2.8 engine. Had 60k when I got it and sold it 18 years later with almost 300k. I neglected it badly but it would not die.