Old 04-28-22, 02:19 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3266 Post(s)
Liked 2,100 Times in 983 Posts
Last night I decided I better check on the gravel tires and wheels. Let all of the air out and pulled the tires off to see how they were faring. Remarkably, there was still 15 ML of the original sealant I put in back in January. Topped it all off, aired them back up and threw a new chain on. When I started pedaling, I was getting a horrible squeak from the rear hub.

I pulled the cassette and rotors off and thought I’d sufficiently greased everything. Put it all back together and it still squeaked. I did it again, this time pulling the hub completely apart and cleaning / greasing everything. Put it all back together and guess what…

The pawls aren’t engaging because of too much grease. I pull it all apart AGAIN, clean the free hub body of some of the grease and finally everything is working.

I need to take it out for a short ride tomorrow, but everything seems good. I guess I know how to service a DT hub now. If I couldn’t get the squeak to stop, I was going to throw the gravel tires on my Zipps, but prefer not the beat the **** out of them in ankle deep mud.