View Single Post
Old 04-28-22, 03:35 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Some internet evidence of dogs pulling carts

First the humorous:

Second historical:
http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/POWER/dog/dog.htm

Quote from article:"In England, things were different. In 1839, the Dog Cart Nuisance Act prohibited the use of cart dogs within 15 miles of London's Charing Cross rail station. The RSPCA regarded dog-haulage as "cruel servitude", but what about draught horses? There appears to have been a fear that overworked dogs were more susceptible rabies. Dog carts were mainly associated with bakers.Poor households could not afford to keep dogs that couldn't work. Many dogs were abandoned to starve and at least 150,000 were destroyed in the first year of the new legislation. Often children replaced the dogs in pulling the carts. There were no laws against child labour."

Third videos:
​​

Jessy - From the pictures and videos I found, I see dogs can pull some weight. My concern is the weight you are talking about is too much. When you say camper for you and your 2 dogs, I picture an actual enclosed camping trailer that is large enough to fit both you and your 2 dogs. If you were planning to sleep in a tent you are packing along and setting it up each night and taking it down in the morning, you might be able to pull something off. The size of a trailer large enough to fit you and your dogs is going to weigh a lot. Take a look at the video links above and check out the size of the carts the dogs are pulling. Your initial concern seems to be for the size and the weight of a trailer large enough to fit you and your gear. I'd agree with your concern. I'm not so sure it's worth the effort of building this trailer thinking once you get it built you're likely to discover it's too heavy for your dogs to pull even with you helping on the bike.

Last edited by mtnbud; 04-28-22 at 03:52 PM.